Pages

I AM A TERRIBLE MOTHER

All those parenting and mommy-to-be books that I read while pregnant -- TOTAL WASTE!

What they don't tell you is how paranoid you'll become after your child's life, even if only for a brief moment, hangs in the balance.

BOOKS DON'T PREPARE YOU FOR THAT!!

The first fever after "THE FEVER". I did everything the books told us to. ACTUALLY, THAT IS A LIE. I did everything that her pediatrician had ever told me to do when a fever rears it's ugly head. (That febrile seizure did a number on my mommy confidence.)

Sooooo...
(&& when I say we -- I literally mean ME & GRACIE!)

> We took Tylenol.

> Three point five hours later we took Motrin. 

> We took a cool shower. (Friends like Dory && Nemo were added bonuses to our bath time fun. TAKE THAT AWESOMENESS MOMMY BOOKS!!)

> We wore light and breathable clothing.

> I think I took her temperature like TWENTY times in TWO hours. 


Y'all.
Paranoid mom much!?
I WENT BATTY!!

Why do I say these things and admit to my crazy emotions of fear and protection? I know that a mother out there isn't admitting her fears. (For about the first eight months of being a new mom I held all my fears and worries inside so deep and tight that they nearly broke me. But that's a story for another day.) Someone reading this is keeping all those "imperfect" emotions hostage and not allowing herself breathing room. See what I did there? We've conditioned ourselves to believe that if we become scared or fearful, particularly when it comes to being a mom, then we are doing something wrong. 

In fact.

I have found, in my 456 days since having my daughter, those days that I am more confused and feeling lost -- I am usually doing everything right. BUT in those doubtful moments my perspective hinders me.
 No, I certainly DO NOT have all the answers.


NO MOTHER HAS ALL THE ANSWERS!! 
(I know. MIND BLOWING!!)

There I said it. Why? Every mother and every child are different and no two journeys in motherhood are the same. We get to take tidbits of knowledge from ALL our experiences and learn through one another. That's the whole point!! Motherhood should unify us, not divide us!!

One key to overcoming all that mommy stress is knowing how you berate yourself. All your negative thoughts; KNOW them, BIND them, && REBUKE them, IN THE NAME OF JESUS!!

Here. I'll let you read a few of mine.

I am a terrible mother at admitting I need rest.
I am a terrible mother at admitting I need help.
I am a terrible mother at admitting I need me time.
I am a terrible mother at admitting I am worthy.
I am a terrible mother at admitting I am beautiful.
I am a terrible mother at admitting I AM an amazing mother.

See all that negative self-talk?!? NONE of that negative self-talk is healthy. If we want our children to have a positive and humble outlook on themselves we HAVE to start with us.

Change your perspective.
I need rest to stay patient.
I need help to be humbled.
I need me time to be refreshed.
I am worthy because God says that I am.
I am beautiful because I am made in God's image.
I am an amazing mother && daughter to a MIGHTY KING!!

Y'all, we are more than "just" mothers. (I loathe that statement, 'just mothers'. But that's another topic. For another day.) We are also daughters to a Father who's love for us surpasses all. 

So, next time you feel yourself reeling out of control and letting stress dictate your self-worth as a mother, remember you are not alone. Go to God, binding and rebuking those doubts. 

I stand in agreement with you, IN JESUS' NAME.


Imperfectly Yours,
Katie