Pages

I FAILED FOR PURPOSE

Someone that I once considered a mentor said, "Katie wasted all her knowledge and intelligence. She was one of the best students we had."

When I first heard those words, about four and a half years ago, it hurt. It was an odd and unexplainable pain.

One man's trash might be another man's treasure, but is it JUST or RIGHT to tell someone that you feel they wasted their LIFE?!?


Whether you agree or disagree with what someone does, I’m pretty sure NO ONE wants to be treated that way. 

“However you wish to be treated by others is how you should treat everyone else.”
-‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:31‬ (‭TPT‬‬)

Over the years it has weighed on me that the world viewed me as a failure because my life changed direction.

You see, I graduated from college in 2012 with a Bachelor's of Science in Athletic Training. I gave my life to my degree for four years. 

I learned.
I grew.
I gave.
I lost.
I took.
I succeeded in what I set out to accomplish, my degree.

However, after graduation life had other plans. The summer I was suppose to begin working toward a dual master’s while taking on a graduate assistant position — it was taken away without any explanation other than, “We can’t find your final transcript, sorry.”


Let me be honest, I had worked my booty off since GRADE SCHOOL for an opportunity like this and just like that, it was gone. NOT ONCE did ANYONE who mentored me during my college years ask, "Katie, what  happened?"

Yet, this wasn’t my first rodeo. Prior to settling on the college I attended I was suppose to attend Texas Christian University (TCU), for my bachelor’s degree. I did all the work to get in, but due to undisclosed information it became absolutely impossible to attend, even after all my scholarships, and plans had to change.

Don’t get me wrong, since graduating college I have accomplished more than I could ever imagine. I am grateful for what God has put within me and the other goals I have achieved. 

Looking back at college, I know God tried to protect me by guiding me in a different direction. I was just too stubborn to see it. God’s grace is so good because He will use everything for His greater plan — even when we are as stubborn as they come.

We may fail at meeting the plan society sets for our lives.
We may fail at attaining our original end goal.

Maybe we’ll fail at meeting society’s standards over and over again, but God will never see us as a failure. When we turn to Him and let God show us His purpose He will use EVERY PIECE of our journey.
I’ve seen God use each piece of what I learned in college for a greater purpose. Even when I was giving my husband the heimlich at eight months pregnant and then giving my daughter CPR when she was 16 months old, I related it back to my days of sports medicine. My experience taught me how to act in a life or death situation with swift actions and a level head. 

Yes, God gave me His LIFE LINE, but I had to do the work by acting accordingly.

“If your faith remains strong, even while surrounded by life’s difficulties, you will continue to experience the untold blessings of God! True happiness comes as you pass the test with faith, and receive the victorious crown of life promised to every lover of God!”
-‭James‬ ‭1:12‬ ‭(TPT‬‬)

I’ve used injury prevention in the real world, as a personal trainer, far more than I ever did on a football field. I have met hundreds, if not thousands, of different women over the years and because of my foundation in the fitness and medical field, I am able to train people properly as a coach.

These spiritual investments will provide a beautiful FOUNDATION for their lives and secure for them a great future, as they lay their hands upon the meaning of true life.”
-1 Timothy‬ ‭6:19‬ (‭TPT‬‬)

By failing, according to the world’s standards, I ended up finding my greatest purpose. I get to share my heart with others each and every day. The biggest blessing I have is my husband and daughter. See, if I would have gone down the path I originally wanted I’m not sure if I would have made time to create this life with my husband.

I’ve had the opportunity to share how God helped me work through the deaths of my siblings with people on a personal level. YES — I could do that anywhere, but God has made a way for me to be in environments where I’m comfortable and have grown confident in sharing my story. The ugly pits and all!! Society, in general, doesn’t always make that easy to do. 

BUT, GOD!!

God knows far better than we.
God wants far more for us than we want for ourselves.
God will use our failures for His glory.

I’m thankful I failed society. 
I’m thankful I failed my mentor.

I’m thankful for my “failures” because they humbled me.
They took me down into a dry well. Life’s failures have led me to my life today that is overflowing with God’s living water. 

When God overflows, He goes. 
Where God goes, He saturates. 
What God saturates, He grows.

My foundation is firm because I failed the world.
But, I failed the world because God had a better plan.

Your purpose will wait.
It will wait for you to be ready.
When you are ready God will unveil it.

Maybe you’re already walking in your purpose. The transformation of your perspective on life can unveil your purpose, it’s not always the change of your current position.

“So then, from now on, we have a new perspective that refuses to evaluate people merely by their outward appearances. For that’s how we once viewed the Anointed One, but no longer do we see him with limited human insight.”
-2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:16‬ ‭(TPT‬‬)

When the Holy Spirit reigns over your life, don’t ALLOW society to limit your God-given power. You will never be a failure because you were created on purpose for a KINGDOM PURPOSE.

“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”
-C.S. Lewis

We weren’t made to live according to this world!! 
We were made for a kingdom far greater than this.

Imperfectly Yours,
Katie