Pages

THE WHEELCHAIR OF A CHILD

My heart has been moved, but being a mother — my heart is broken. My eyes have filled with tears too many times to count. Last year, we all know the story of me giving my daughter CPR and her living. However, I can’t imagine the feeling a parent would have when their child is diagnosed with cancer.

Cancer, an ugly word NO ONE wants to hear. Cancer, a cure only found through hope, research, doctors, medicine, needles, blood and trust in people you don’t even know. Cancer, the word no parent wants to hear and no child should have to endure. I had the opportunity to breathe life into my daughter, parents here don’t have that opportunity, they can only hope. While leaving the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital I came across this wheelchair. 



A wheelchair that a child once sat in before taking their last breath. A wheelchair that a parent once broke down in receiving news that their child wouldn’t see tomorrow. A wheelchair that, if it could speak, would tell you the story of the 4-year-old girl who pretended it was a race car through the halls of the hospital, her home. That wheelchair has held the most precious of lives, I feel so small compared to that wheelchair.

Imperfectly Yours,
Katie